The Church ruin in the cemetery was originally the parish church and it is from this church that the name Kilmihil derives, (Cill Mhichil is Irish for Church of St Michael). The church was believed to have been built by St Senan around 530AD.

Interior of St Michaels ruined Church Kilmihil

 Image courtesy of Clare Museum

The church ruins were partially rebuilt and the site of the shrine and holy well next to it cleaned up, cleared and renovated between 1934 and 1937. The cemetery is better maintained than most others in West Clare and contains some fine examples of the house-like tombs peculiar to the area.